In case you missed our most-read stories last month…
From the death in Brazil of liberation theology hero Bishop Pedro Casaldáliga or the US Church between social justice unrest and November’s presidential elections to a brave German abbess prosecuted for sheltering refugees, here’s what you read on Novena in August:
10. Theologian denounces “patriarchal and priestly worldview in which churchmen have been educated to feel doubly superior” to women
9. Pedro Casaldàliga, Spanish-born ‘bishop of the poor’ in Brazil and hero of liberation theology, dies at 92
8. Calling out “call-outs”: how to bring charity to the social justice movement and why it’s important
Also by Matt Kappadakunnel:
5. Female Catholic priest, to hierarchy: “If you don’t want women to celebrate the sacraments, console and bless… stop baptising us!”
4. Vatican archbishop issues plea not to ideologise pro-life cause as abortion becomes weapon in US presidential race
1. German abbess prosecuted for sheltering refugees says she would accept jail term with a “clear conscience”
Thanks, as always, for reading us.
Related: The resurgence of clericalism in the Vatican, Hagia Sophia, the non-stop push for the ordination of women... This was July on Novena
You are also very welcome to sign up for our daily and/or weekly newsletters, if you’d like.
We’d love for you to join our community!
Next on Novena:
The resurgence of clericalism in the Vatican, Hagia Sophia, the non-stop push for the ordination of women… This was July on Novena
From a demand to cancel White Jesus statues to a call for women cardinals, take a look back at June with Novena
Women to the Church’s rescue, COVID-19 conspiracies, the “hell” of capitalism… This was May on Novena
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Mada Jurado (see all)
- Orthodox Archbishop of Athens rips “repressive” refugee policies, says “welcoming the stranger… an integral part of Christian heritage” - September 23, 2020
- German Catholic women declare far-right AfD “not compatible” with Christian values - September 22, 2020
- Holy See reminds world: “Authentic and lasting peace cannot rest on a balance of military power, but upon mutual trust” - September 22, 2020